1925 - 104ft. - Presidential Yacht USS SEQUOIA - 10/12/2019 - Cambridge, Md - leaving on the 13th for Belfast, Maine to be restored. Story in comment link below.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
For other ships with the same name, see USS Sequoia and USS Sequoyah.
USS Sequoia in Washington Marina in 2008
Sequoia in Washington Marina in 2008
Name: Sequoia II
Richard Cadwalader (1925–1928)
William Dunning (1928–1931)
Builder: Mathis Yacht Building Co., Camden, New Jersey
Laid down: 1924
Owner: United States Department of Commerce
Acquired: by purchase, 24 March 1931
In service: 1931
Out of service: 1933
Name: USS Sequoia (AG-23)
Owner: United States Navy
Commissioned: 25 March 1933
Owner: Secretary of the Navy
In service: 1936
Out of service: 1977
Struck: 1 October 1968
Fate: Sold at auction 18 May 1977
Displacement: 90 long tons (91 t)
Length: 104 ft (32 m)
Beam: 18 ft 2 in (5.54 m)
Draft: 4 ft 5 in (1.35 m)
Speed: 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph)
USS Sequoia (yacht)
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
U.S. National Historic Landmark
US Navy 030423-N-0000X-001 The former Presidential Yacht USS Sequoia (AG 23) travels down the Potomac River near Washington D.C.jpg
USS Sequoia (presidential yacht) is located in MarylandUSS Sequoia (presidential yacht)
Location Cambridge, Maryland
Nearest city Cambridge Maryland
Coordinates 38°33′59″N 76°4′37″W
Architect Trumpy, John; Mathis Yacht Building Co.
NRHP reference # 87002594
Added to NRHP 23 December 1987
Designated NHL 23 December 1987
USS Sequoia is the former presidential yacht used during the administrations of Herbert Hoover through Jimmy Carter, a National Historic Landmark and perhaps the most important presidential artifact in private hands. Sequoia was formally decommissioned on December 9, 1935, by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, yet continues to be referred to with “USS” designation. Often called the “floating White House”, the Sequoia offered presidents, first families and high-ranking government officials a place to escape the complexities of official life while also serving as the backdrop for many of the most significant moments of 20th-century American history. Sequoia is believed to have been named by her original owner, Emily Roebling Cadwalader, after Sequoyah, a leader of the Cherokee Nation.
Designed by John Trumpy and built by the famed John H. Mathis & Company Shipbuilders in Camden, New Jersey, Sequoia was completed at a cost of approximately $200,000 and launched October 27, 1925. Originally named the Sequoia II, she was the second of four successively larger yachts built between 1924 and 1931 for Mr. and Mrs. Richard McCall Cadwalader of Philadelphia. The Cadwalader’s third and fourth yachts were named Savarona and Savarona II, respectively.
At 104 feet in length, Sequoia II's hull was originally constructed of long-leaf yellow pine on white oak frames and her deckhouse of mahogany and teak. She is capable of comfortably sleeping eight guests in her three double and two single staterooms, has ample crew quarters and can seat 22 for formal dinners.